Peru College Trek 2012: Machu Picchu
OUR EXPEDITIONS >
PERU COLLEGE TREK 2012
IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Peru College Expedition is for college age students or recent graduates.
Our expedition begins at 11,200 ft in Cusco, Peru, the capital of the ancient Incan empire and a UNESCO World Heritage site. Cusco is a beautiful city with a vibrant cultural scene, where indigenous styles contrast with the modern western world. The city is filled with colonial churches, museums and Inca ruins. It is at the center of the Inca-Spanish culture that makes the Andes so spectacular.
We will follow Incan footsteps on a 5-day, 4-night trek through the Andean mountains to the citadel of Machu Picchu, one of the wonders of the world. We will hike the famous Salkantay Trek, named one of the 25 best Treks in the World, by National Geographic Adventure Travel Magazine. It is an ancient and remote footpath located in the same region as the Inca Trail, but less traveled and with more spectacular views.
Our 50 km trail reaches a height of 15,580 ft, and will take us through a variety of ecological zones, from sparsely vegetated alpine meadows flanking two spectacular 20,000 ft glaciated peaks, down through subtropical forest until we eventually reach Aguas Calientes, a small town at the base of Machu Picchu where we will spend the night. Our last day will be spent exploring the ancient Incan City of Machu Picchu and climbing Wayna Picchu, which over looks Machu Picchu.
Our Trek will be fully supported by a local trekking company and led by experienced local guides. We will walk an average of 5-7 hours a day and sleep in tents. No previous trekking experience needed, but we require that all Trekkers be in excellent physical condition and able to hike for several hours, non-stop, carrying a daypack. It’s important that a good physical conditioning program be undertaken at least two months before departure.
Trekkers will spend several days with the children at our selected orphanage in Cusco. Before the trek we will spend time getting to know the children, play games with them and work on significant improvement projects at their home. After the Trek, we will return to the orphanage for a couple of more days of fun, which will include celebrating the famous Inti Raymi festival (winter solstice), taking the children on a field trip to a nearby point of interest and then celebrating our time together with food, music, and dancing.
Please contact Tricia Donaldson, Director of Operations, for more information
Trip Cost: $1200
Fundraising Commitment: $1000
•TFK group leaders
• 5 day fully supported, guided Trek to Machu Picchu (you only carry a daypack)
• Professional local guides on Trek
• 3 nights tents on trek
• 1 night hostel in Aguas Calientes
• 5 nights hotel in Cusco
• All meals except 2 lunches and 1 dinner
• Guided walking tour of Cusco and entrance fees
• Private tour of Machu Picchu, entrance fees, and ticket to climb Wayna Picchu
• Field trip and party with the children
• All in-country transportation, including airport pick up and drop off
• TFK shirts, luggage tags
• Tips for local trekking crew
• Salkantay and Inca Trail fees
• ISIC card (trip insurance and local discounts)
• Round trip airfare to Cusco
• 3 meals
• Alcoholic drinks, soft drinks, or bottled water
• Sleeping bag rental (can bring your own)
• 18 years or older
• Good health
• Physically fit
• Willing to raise minimum $1000
3 Step Process
1. Apply • Fill out the online application
• Pay $500 deposit ($50 non-refundable)
2. Prepare • Read Information and Fundraising Packet from TFK
• Start a training regimen if not already exercising regularly
• Fundraise for orphanage projects
• Gather all necessary gear for the Trek
• Pay remaining Expedition fees
• Arrange flights
3. Experience • Arrive in-country.
• Enjoy a trip of a lifetime!
We are committed to supporting you every step of the way, both before and during your Expedition.
After signing up for an Expedition, Trekkers receive a Fundraising Kit, and access to the Trekker Resource Center, with online tips and tools to help you succeed.
• how your donations are used
• great introduction to TFK for your donors
Personal Fundraising Page
• solicit donations on your page
• set fundraising goals
• track progress in real time
• post a message to your donors
• donors can send a message to you
• form letters to help you get started
• fundraising logs
• receipts and forms
• orphanage project flyer
• slide presentation about orphanage projects, and how donors funds will be used
Contact our Director of Operations, Tricia Donaldson, for more information.
MEET THE TREKKERS
Select a Trekker‘s name below to visit their personal fundraising page. Help them reach their goal by making a donation today.
Havasupai Alumni TrekSept 28-Oct 3, 2015
Spain/Portugal PrivateOctober 7-18, 2015
Everest View Trek 2015November 2-14, 2015
Everest Base Camp 2015November 2-20, 2015