Peru Trek 2013: Lares Trek to Machu Picchu
OUR EXPEDITIONS >
PERU TREK 2013
Our expedition begins at 11,200 ft in Cusco, Peru, the capital of the ancient Incan empire and a UNESCO World Heritage site. Cusco is a beautiful city with a vibrant cultural scene, where indigenous styles contrast with the modern western world. The city is filled with colonial churches, museums and Inca ruins. It is at the center of the Inca-Spanish culture that makes the Andes so spectacular.
We will follow Incan footsteps in a remote region of Peru, off the tourist path, for 4-days, 3-nights through the spectacular Lares Valley. Upon completion of the trek we will transfer by train to Aguas Calientes where we will spend the night. Our last day will be spent exploring the ancient Incan City of Machu Picchu, one of the wonders of the world.
The Lares Valley Trek takes us into the Peruvian Andes to experience beautiful high mountain scenery, alpine lakes and waterfalls with breathtaking views of snow-capped Andean peaks. Our high point on the trek will be 13,776 ft./4200 m. Besides spectacular scenery we will have the chance to experience the life of Andean farmers and weavers first hand. The Lares Valley Trek is also known as the "Weavers Way" because it passes through several traditional weaving communities that have changed little in 500 years.
Our Trek will be fully supported by a local trekking company and led by experienced local guides. We will walk an average of 4-6 hours a day and sleep in tents. No previous trekking experience needed, but we require that all Trekkers be in excellent physical condition and able to hike for several hours, non-stop, carrying a daypack. It’s important that a good physical conditioning program be undertaken at least two months before departure.
Trekkers will spend several days with the children at our selected orphanage in Cusco. Before the trek we will spend time getting to know the children, play games with them and put the finishing touches on significant capital improvement projects at their home funded by donations raised by Trekkers. After the Trek, we will return to the orphanage for a couple of more days of fun, which will include taking the children on a field trip to a nearby point of interest and then celebrating our time together with food, music, and dancing.
Please contact Tricia Donaldson, Director of Operations, for more information
Group Size: maximum of 20 Trekkers (minimum 12)
Expedition Dates: June 30-July 9, 2013
(Please note: dates listed are the arrival and departure dates to/from Peru)
Fundraising Commitment: $1000 ($500 for 14-17 yr olds)
tax-deductible donations for orphanage projects
•TFK group leader
• 5 day fully supported, guided Trek in the Lares Valley and Machu Picchu (you only carry a daypack)
• Professional local guides on Trek
• 3 nights tents on trek
• 1 night hostel in Aguas Calientes
• 5 nights hotel in Cusco
• All meals except 1 lunch and 2 dinners
• Private tour of Machu Picchu, entrance fees, and ticket to climb Wayna Picchu
• All in-country transportation, including airport pick up and drop off
• Train service from Ollantaytambo to Aguas Calientes and back to Cusco
• Field trip and party with the children from the orphanage
• TFK shirts, buff, luggage tags
• Tips for local trekking crew
• Trail fees
• Group travel insurance
• Round trip airfare to Cusco and any overnight expenses that you might incur
• 3 meals
• Alcoholic drinks, soft drinks, or bottled water
• Optional trip to Pisac
• 18 years or older
• 14 years or older if accompanied by an adult
• Physically fit
• Willing to raise minimum $1000
3 Step Process
1. Apply • Fill out the online application
• Pay $500 deposit ($50 non-refundable)
2. Prepare • Read Information and Fundraising Packet from TFK
• Start a training regimen if not already exercising regularly
• Fundraise for orphanage projects
• Gather all necessary gear for the Trek
• Pay remaining Expedition fees
• Arrange flights
3. Experience • Arrive in-country.
• Enjoy a trip of a lifetime!
We are committed to supporting you every step of the way, both before and during your Expedition.
After signing up for an Expedition, Trekkers receive a Fundraising Kit, and access to the Trekker Resource Center, with online tips and tools to help you succeed.
• how your donations are used
• great introduction to TFK for your donors
Personal Fundraising Page
• solicit donations on your page
• set fundraising goals
• track progress in real time
• post a message to your donors
• donors can send a message to you
• form letters to help you get started
• fundraising logs
• receipts and forms
• orphanage project flyer
Contact our Director of Operations, Tricia Donaldson, for more information.
Peru Trek 2013
Expedition Dates: June 30-July 9, 2013
(in country dates)
Group Size: 12-20
Fundraising Commitment: $1000
($500 for 14-17 year olds)
Activity Level: Moderate