Nepal Trek 2015: Everest Base Camp
OUR EXPEDITIONS >
EVEREST BASE CAMP 2015
Please note: This is a combined expedition with the Everest View Trek.
In 2010 National Geographic voted this trip to Everest Base Camp one of their "50 Tours of a Lifetime." This 13-day trek into the Himalayas begins with a short flight to the Lukla airstrip at 9,200 ft. From there we will begin our 75 mile journey to the base of Mt. Everest at 17,650 ft. Along the way we will visit the highest Buddhist monastery in the world, pass through ancient Sherpa villages that have changed little over time, and cross long suspension bridges above rushing rivers, as we walk amongst the tallest mountains in the world. Before reaching Everest Base Camp, we will have the opportunity to ascend Kalapathar (18,513ft) and enjoy the panoramic views of Everest, Lhotse Nuptse, and other iconic peaks. Our journey will be long and challenging, but particularly rewarding, knowing that each step we take is for the good of orphans who live in the shadows of these majestic mountains.
A professional western guide, along with local trekking guides, and the famous Sherpas of Nepal, will lead us on this amazing journey. We will hike for 5-7 hours a day, carrying a daypack and sleeping in local teahouses (basic lodges) along the way. We require that all Trekkers be in excellent physical condition. Trekkers must be able to hike for several hours non-stop, carrying a 10-15 pound daypack. It’s important that a good physical conditioning program be undertaken at least three months before departure.
Our group of Trekkers will spend 4 days with the children at a local children's home before the Trek. Our days with the children will be spent getting to know them, playing games, working on improvement projects at their home, taking them on a field trip and celebrating with music, food, and dancing. Check back soon to learn more about the children we will be helping this year.
Please contact Tricia Donaldson, Director of Operations, for more information.
Group Size: maximum of 18 Trekkers (minimum 12)
November 2- 20, 2015 (Please note: dates listed are the arrival and departure dates to/from Kathmandu)
Deadline: August 1, 2015
Price for Expedition: TBD
Fundraising Committment: $1000 (tax-deductible donations for orphanage projects)
• 13 day fully-supported, guided Trek (you only carry a daypack)
• Domestic flight to Lukla and return
• 12 nights teahouse accommodation on Trek
• 6 nights hotel with breakfast (double or triple occupancy) on non-Trek days
• All meals on Trek
• Lunch or dinner on non-Trek days
• All ground transportation, including airport pick-up and drop-off
• Trekking permit and conservation fees
• Tips for guides and porters
• Emergency evacuation and group travel insurance
• Activities with the children, including field trip and party
• TFK t-shirts, luggage tags and buff
• Airfare to Kathmandu
• Nepal Visa
• One meal a day on non-Trek days
• Alcoholic drinks, soft drinks, bottled water
• 18 years+
(16-17 year olds accompanied by a parent and physically fit and able to go to high altitudes will be considered.)
• Good health
• Physically fit
• Willing to raise minimum $1000 for orphanage
3 Step Process
1. Apply • Fill out the online application
• Pay $500 deposit ($50 non-refundable)
2. Prepare • Read Information and Fundraising Packet from TFK
• Start a training regimen if not already exercising regularly
• Fundraise for orphanage projects
• Gather all necessary gear for the Trek
• Pay remaining Expedition fees
• Arrange flights
3. Experience • Arrive in-country and meet your TFK group leaders and fellow Trekkers.
• Enjoy a trip of a lifetime!
We are committed to supporting you every step of the way, both before and during your Expedition.
Expedition Dates for Nepal 2015: Everest Base Camp Trek
Nov 2-20, 2015 (Please note: dates listed are the arrival and departure dates to/from Kathmandu)
• Nepal has eight of the world's 10 highest mountains.
• There are two base camps for Mt. Everest, located each on opposite sides of the mountain. One is to the north in Tibet and the other is to the south in Nepal.
• Mt. Everest rises a few millimeters each year due to geological forces.
• Base Camp is at 17,598ft (5364m) above sea level.
• The Summit is 29,029ft (8848m) above sea level – just below the cruising height of a jet.
• Mount Everest is called: Sagarmatha (which means Goddess of the sky) in Nepali and Chomolungma (which means mother Goddess of the Universe) in Tibetan.
• The local people in the Everest region are the Sherpas and Tibetans.
• Sir Edmund Hillary and Tenzing Norgay were the first to summit Everest on May 29th 1953.
• The Tihar Festival, or Festival of Lights, is one of the most dazzling of all Hindu festivals, where many candles are lit both inside and outside of houses to make it bright at night.
• The festival is held for 5 days in honor of the Goddess Laxmi who is the Hindu goddess of wealth and also the wife of Vishnu.
After signing up for an Expedition, Trekkers receive a Fundraising Kit, and access to the Trekker Resource Center, with online tips and tools to help you succeed.
• how your donations are used
• great introduction to TFK for your donors
Personal Fundraising Page
• solicit donations on your page
• set fundraising goals
• track progress in real time
• upload photos
• post messages to donors
• form letters to help you get started
• fundraising logs
• receipts and forms
• orphanage project flyer
Contact our Director of Operations, Tricia Donaldson, for more information.
Nepal Trek 2015
Expedition Dates: November 2-20, 2015 (in-country dates)
Deadline to Apply: August 1, 2015
Group Size: 12-18
Trip Cost: TBD
Fundraising Commitment: $1000
Activity Level: Strenuous
MEET THE TREKKERS
Select a Trekker‘s name below to visit their personal fundraising page. Help them reach their goal by making a donation today.
Patagonia 2015February 21-March 6, 2015
Thailand Teen PrivateApril 6-16, 2015
Havasupai Alumni TrekJune 13-18, 2015
Spain/Morocco PrivateSeptember 12-27, 2015
Everest View Trek 2015November 2-14, 2015
Everest Base Camp 2015November 2-20, 2015