Turning Loss Into Service:
OUR EXPEDITIONS >
PERU PRIVATE TREK 2014
Motherless Daughters and Parentless Parents Unite to Help Orphans in Peru
Join Hope Edelman, author of Motherless Daughters, and Allison Gilbert, author of Parentless Parents, on a life-changing Trekking for Kids expedition to Peru. This special 11-day expedition will include 4 days of service work at a an orphanage in Cusco, 4 days of trekking through the beautiful Lares valley, and evening programs led by Hope and Allison.
Our expedition begins at 11,200 ft in Cusco, Peru, the capital of the ancient Incan empire and a UNESCO World Heritage site. Cusco is a beautiful city with a vibrant cultural scene, where indigenous styles contrast with the modern western world. The city is filled with colonial churches, museums and Inca ruins. It is at the center of the Inca-Spanish culture that makes the Andes so spectacular.
We will follow Incan footsteps in a remote region of Peru, off the tourist path, for 4-days, 3-nights through the spectacular Lares Valley. Upon completion of the trek we will transfer by train to Aguas Calientes where we will spend the night. Our last day of the trek will be spent exploring the ancient Incan City of Machu Picchu, one of the wonders of the world.
The Lares Valley Trek takes us into the Peruvian Andes to experience beautiful high mountain scenery, alpine lakes and waterfalls with breathtaking views of snow-capped Andean peaks. Our high point on the trek will be 13,776 ft./4200 m. Besides spectacular scenery we will have the chance to experience the life of Andean farmers and weavers first hand. The Lares Valley Trek is also known as the "Weavers Way" because it passes through several traditional weaving communities that have changed little in 500 years.
Our Trek will be fully supported by a local trekking company and led by experienced local guides. We will walk an average of 4-6 hours a day and sleep 2 person to a tent (oversized tents with a cot). No previous trekking experience needed, but we require that all Trekkers be in excellent physical condition and able to hike for several hours, non-stop, carrying a daypack. It’s important that a good physical conditioning program be undertaken at least two months before departure.
Trekkers will spend several days with the children at our selected orphanage in Cusco. Before the trek we will spend time getting to know the children, play games, do art projects with them and put the finishing touches on significant capital improvement projects at their home funded by donations raised by Trekkers. After the Trek, we will return to the orphanage for a couple of more days of fun, which will include taking the children on a field trip to a nearby point of interest and then celebrating our time together with food, music, and dancing.
Watch a short video about Trekking for Kids
Please contact Tricia Donaldson, Director of Operations, for more information about the expedition.
Hope Edelman is the author of six nonfiction books, including the bestsellers,Motherless Daughters, Motherless Mothers, and the memoir The Possibility of Everything, which was set in Belize. Her work has been translated into thirteen languages and she has lectured about early mother loss on four continents. This will be her first trip to Peru. For more information about Hope, please visit her website.
Allison Gilbert is the author of the critically-acclaimed books Parentless Parents: How the Loss of Our Mothers and Fathers Impacts the Way We Raise Our Children and Always Too Soon: Voices of Support for Those Who Have Lost Both Parents. Allison is also an Emmy award-winning television news producer and regular contributor to CNN.com. For more information about Allison, please visit website. For regular updates about this exciting trek to Peru, please "Like" her on Facebook, Twitter: @agilbertwriter.
Price for Expedition: $2325
Group Size: maximum of 20 Trekkers
Expedition Dates: July 30-August 9, 2014
(Please note: dates listed are the arrival and departure dates to/from Peru)
Fundraising Commitment: $1000
tax-deductible donations for orphanage projects
•TFK trip leader, Cindy Steuart, Hope Edelman, author of "Motherless Daughters" and Allison Gilbert, author of "Parentless Parents"
• Evening group program and discussions led by Hope Edelman and Allison Gilbert
• 5 day fully supported, guided Trek in the Lares Valley and Machu Picchu (you only carry a daypack)
• Professional local guides on Trek
• 3 nights, 2 person large tent with sleeping cot on trek
• 1 night hotel in Aguas Calientes, twin room
• 6 nights hotel in Cusco, twin room
• All meals except 1 lunch and 2 dinners
• Private tour of Machu Picchu, entrance fees, and ticket to climb Wayna Picchu
• All in-country transportation, including airport pick up and drop off
• Train service from Ollantaytambo to Aguas Calientes and back to Cusco
• Field trip, party, and activities with the children from the orphanage
• TFK shirts, hat, luggage tags
• Tips for local trekking crew
• Trail fees
• Group travel insurance
• Round trip airfare to Cusco and any overnight expenses that you might incur
• 3 meals
• Alcoholic drinks, soft drinks, or bottled water and other personal expenses
• 18 years or older
• Good health
• Physically fit
• Willing to raise minimum $1000 of tax-deductible donations for orphanage projects
3 Step Process
1. Apply • Fill out the online application (link will be provided with invitation)
• Pay $500 deposit ($50 non-refundable)
2. Prepare • Read Information and Fundraising Packet from TFK
• Start a training regimen if not already exercising regularly
• Fundraise for orphanage projects
• Gather all necessary gear for the Trek
• Pay remaining Expedition fees
• Arrange flights
3. Experience • Arrive in-country.
• Enjoy a trip of a lifetime!
We are committed to supporting you every step of the way, both before and during your Expedition.
After signing up for an Expedition, Trekkers receive a Fundraising Kit, and access to the Trekker Resource Center, with online tips and tools to help you succeed.
• how your donations are used
• great introduction to TFK for your donors
Personal Fundraising Page
• solicit donations on your page
• set fundraising goals
• track progress in real time
• post a message to your donors
• donors can send a message to you
• form letters to help you get started
• fundraising logs
• receipts and forms
• orphanage project flyer
Contact our Director of Operations, Tricia Donaldson, for more information.
Peru Private Trek 2014
Expedition Dates: July 30-August 9, 2014
(in country dates)
Group Size: max. 20
Trip Cost: $2325
Fundraising Commitment: $1000
Activity Level: Moderate
MEET THE TREKKERS
Select a Trekker‘s name below to visit their personal fundraising page. Help them reach their goal by making a donation today.
Ecuador Private Trek 2016May 21-30, 2016
Brazil Trek 2016June 22-July 2, 2016
Mt. Kilimanjaro 2016August 4-15, 2016
Havasupai Trek 2016Sept 21-27, 2016
Ethiopia-Simien Trek 2016October 30-November 12, 2016