Tanzania Trek 2016 - Mt. Kilimanjaro
OUR EXPEDITIONS >
MT KILIMANJARO TREK 2016
Nestled on the Eastern coast of Africa, Tanzania has long served as an enticing getaway for those with an appetite for adventure, culture, and astonishing natural beauty. Mt Kilimanjaro, the world’s highest, free-standing mountain and one of the "Seven Summits," stands at a height of 19,340 ft (5896 m). Kilimanjaro is celebrated for its astonishing panoramic views, abundant plant and wildlife, and unrivaled perspective of the highest peak in Africa.
Our 7-day trek on the popular Machame Route, will take us to Uhuru Peak, the highest point on Mt. Kilimanjaro. This route will take us through many different ecosystems as we make our way to “High Camp”, with the summit on the 6th day. This longer route will give us the added benefit of several days to acclimate at elevations around 12,000 ft as we traverse a significant portion of the mountain. Our journey to the "roof of Africa" will be long and challenging, but knowing that each step we take is for the good of the orphan and disadvantaged children, who live at the base of this iconic mountain, will keep us motivated to reach the summit.
Our Trek will be fully supported by knowledgeable local guides, porters, and cooks and will have the added benefit of a professional Western Guide, world renowned Mountaineer and Polar Explorer, Ryan Waters. We will hike 5-7 hours a day and 12+ on summit day, over varied terrain, carrying a daypack and sleeping in tents. We require that all Trekkers be in excellent physical condition. It’s important that a good physical conditioning program be undertaken at least three months before departure.This is a non-technical climb.
Our group of Trekkers will spend 4 days with the children from a local orphanage in Moshi. Before the Trek, we will spend time getting to know the children, playing games, and improving the orphanage’s facilities. After the Trek, we will return to the orphanage and take the children on a fun field trip to a nearby point of interest, and then celebrate our time together with food, music, and dancing.
Safari (Optional Add On)
For three days we will travel by 4x4 vehicles to three of Tanzania’s best-known wildlife parks. Our Tanzanian guides will take us to the best game viewing spots in Lake Manyara National Park, Ngorongoro Crater and Tarangire National Park. We will spend two nights in a lodge.
Please contact Tricia Donaldson, Director of Operations, for more information.
Group Size: maximum of 16 Trekkers (minimum 10)
Expedition Dates: August 4-15, 2016 (Please note: dates listed are the arrival and departure dates to/from Tanzania)
Safari Dates: August 15-17, 2016
Price for Expedition: $3875
Price for Safari: $650
Fundraising Commitment: $1000 (100% goes to orphanage projects)
• 7 day fully-supported, guided Trek (you only carry a daypack)
• TFK leader and Western mountaineering guide
• 6 nights, tent accommodation on Trek
• 5 nights hotel with breakfast (double or triple occupancy) on non-Trek days + day use on return flight day
• All meals on Trek
• Most meals on non-trek days
• All ground transportation, including airport pick-up and drop-off at Kilimanjaro airport
• National Park fees, camping fees, park rescue fees
• Tips for guides, porters and cooks (approximately $200; not included with other companies)
• All camping equipment except sleeping bag and pad
• Group travel insurance
• Activities with the children at an orphanage including, a field trip and party
• TFK t-shirts, buff, and luggage tags
• Airfare to Tanzania (Kilimanjaro airport)
• Tanzania Visa ($100 for US citizens)
• A few meals
• Alcoholic drinks, soft drinks, bottled water
• Tips to hotel staff
Included on Optional Safari
• 3 day guided safari
• 2 nights lodge accommodation
• All meals
• Transportation to Kilimanjaro airport after the safari
• Day room use on 3rd day of safari
Not Included on Optional Safari
• Tips for guide/driver
• Alcoholic drinks, soft drinks and bottled water
• 18 years or older
• Good health
• Physically fit
• Willing to raise minimum $1000 for orphanage
3 Step Process
1. Apply • Fill out the online application
• Pay $500 deposit ($50 non-refundable)
2. Prepare • Read Information and Fundraising Packet from TFK
• Start a training regimen if not already exercising regularly
• Fundraise for orphanage projects
• Gather all necessary gear for the Trek
• Pay remaining Expedition fees
• Arrange flights
3. Experience • Arrive in-country and meet your TFK group leaders and fellow Trekkers.
• Enjoy a trip of a lifetime!
We are committed to supporting you every step of the way, both before and during your Expedition.
After signing up for an Expedition, Trekkers receive a Fundraising Kit, and access to the Trekker Resource Center, with online tips and tools to help you succeed.
• great introduction to TFK for your donors
Personal Fundraising Page (coming soon)
• solicit donations on your page
• set fundraising goals
• track progress in real time
• upload photos
• post messages to donors
• form letters to help you get started
• fundraising logs
• receipts and forms
• orphanage project flyer
Contact our Director of Operations, Tricia Donaldson, for more information.
Mt. Kilimanjaro Trek 2016
Expedition Dates: August 4-15, 2016 (in-country dates)
Group Size: 10-16
Trip Cost: $3875
Tax-deductible portion of trip cost: $1150
Fundraising Commitment: $1000
Activity Level: Strenuous
Optional Safari: August 15-17
Safari Cost: $650
MEET THE TREKKERS
Select a Trekker‘s name below to visit their personal fundraising page. Help them reach their goal by making a donation today.
Bhutan Trek 2017April 8-21, 2017
Thailand Private Teen 2017May 27-June 9, 2017
Mt. Elbrus 2017July 1-15, 2017
Peru Trek 2017August 3-12, 2017
Everest Base Camp 2017October 30-November 17, 2017
Everest View Trek 2017October 30-November 11, 2017
Panama Trek 2018March 3-11, 2018