Tanzania Trek 2014 - Mt. Kilimanjaro
OUR EXPEDITIONS >
MT KILIMANJARO TREK 2014
Nestled on the Eastern coast of Africa, Tanzania has long served as an enticing getaway for those with an appetite for adventure, culture, and astonishing natural beauty. Mt Kilimanjaro, the world’s highest, free-standing mountain and one of the "Seven Summits," stands at a height of 19,340 ft (5896 m). Kilimanjaro is celebrated for its astonishing panoramic views, abundant plant and wildlife, and unrivaled perspective of the highest peak in Africa.
Our 7-day trek on the popular Machame Route, will take us to Uhuru Peak, the highest point on Mt. Kilimanjaro. This route will take us through many different ecosystems as we make our way to “High Camp”, with the option to summit on the 6th day under a full moon. This longer route will give us the added benefit of several days to acclimate at elevations around 12,000 ft as we traverse a significant portion of the mountain. Our journey to the "roof of Africa" will be long and challenging, but knowing that each step we take is for the good of the orphan and disadvantaged children, who live at the base of this iconic mountain, will keep us motivated to reach our "personal summit".
Our Trek will be fully supported by knowledgeable local guides, porters, and cooks and will have the added benefit of a professional Western Guide. We will hike 5-7 hours a day and 12+ on summit day, over varied terrain, carrying a daypack and sleeping in tents. We require that all Trekkers be in excellent physical condition. It’s important that a good physical conditioning program be undertaken at least three months before departure.
Our group of Trekkers will spend 4 days with the children from the Kili Centre in Moshi which we supported during our 2013 expedition. Before the Trek, we will spend time getting to know the children, playing games, and improving the orphanage’s facilities. After the Trek, we will return to the orphanage and finish up any uncompleted projects, take the children on a fun field trip to a nearby point of interest, and then celebrate our time together with food, music, and dancing.
Safari (Optional Add On)
For four days we will travel by 4x4 vehicles to three of Tanzania’s best-known wildlife parks. Our Tanzanian guides will take us to the best game viewing spots in Lake Manyara National Park, Ngorongoro Crater and the Serengeti National Park. We will spend two nights in a lodge and two nights at a permanent tent camp inside the Serengeti.
Please contact Tricia Donaldson, Director of Operations, for more information.
Group Size: maximum of 18 Trekkers (minimum 13)
Expedition Dates: September 14-26, 2014 (Please note: dates listed are the arrival and departure dates to/from Tanzania)
Safari Dates: September 26-30, 2014
Price for Expedition: $2975, after July 1: $3475
Price for Safari: TBA
Fundraising Commitment: $1000 (100% goes to orphanage projects)
• 7 day fully-supported, guided Trek (you only carry a daypack)
• TFK leader and Western mountaineering guide
• 6 nights, tent accommodation on Trek
• 6 nights hotel with breakfast (double or triple occupancy) on non-Trek days + day use on return flight day
• All meals on Trek
• All meals but one lunch on non-trek days
• All ground transportation, including airport pick-up and drop-off at Kilimanjaro airport
• National Park fees, camping fees, park rescue fees
• Tips for guides, porters and cooks (approximately $300; not included with other companies)
• All camping equipment except sleeping bag and pad (rental gear available)
• Group travel insurance
• 4 days of activities with children at orphanage including, a field trip and party
• TFK t-shirts, buff, and luggage tags
• Airfare to Tanzania (Kilimanjaro airport)
• Tanzania Visa ($100 for US citizens)
• One meal during Expedition and all meals on travel days to and from Tanzania
• Alcoholic drinks, soft drinks, bottled water
• Tips to hotel staff
Included on Optional Safari
• 4 day guided safari
• 2 nights, lodge accommodation, 2 nights permanent tent camp
• All meals
• Transportation to Kilimanjaro airport after the safari
• Day room use on flight departure day
Not Included on Optional Safari
• Tip for guide/driver
• Alcoholic drinks, soft drinks and bottled water
• 18 years or older
• Good health
• Physically fit
• Willing to raise minimum $1000 for orphanage
3 Step Process
1. Apply • Fill out the online application
• Pay $500 deposit ($50 non-refundable)
2. Prepare • Read Information and Fundraising Packet from TFK
• Start a training regimen if not already exercising regularly
• Fundraise for orphanage projects
• Gather all necessary gear for the Trek
• Pay remaining Expedition fees
• Arrange flights
3. Experience • Arrive in-country and meet your TFK group leaders and fellow Trekkers.
• Enjoy a trip of a lifetime!
We are committed to supporting you every step of the way, both before and during your Expedition.
After signing up for an Expedition, Trekkers receive a Fundraising Kit, and access to the Trekker Resource Center, with online tips and tools to help you succeed.
• how your donations are used
• great introduction to TFK for your donors
Personal Fundraising Page (coming soon)
• solicit donations on your page
• set fundraising goals
• track progress in real time
• upload photos
• post messages to donors
• form letters to help you get started
• fundraising logs
• receipts and forms
• orphanage project flyer
Contact our Director of Operations, Tricia Donaldson, for more information.
Tanzania Trek 2014
Expedition Dates: September 14-26, 2014 (in-country dates)
Deadline to Apply: July 1 or until filled
Group Size: 13-18
Trip Cost: $2975, after July 1: $3945
Fundraising Commitment: $1000
Activity Level: Strenuous
Optional Safari: September 26-30
Safari Cost: TBA
MEET THE TREKKERS
Select a Trekker‘s name below to visit their personal fundraising page. Help them reach their goal by making a donation today.
Patagonia 2015February 21-March 6, 2015
Thailand Teen PrivateApril 6-16, 2015
Havasupai Alumni TrekSept 28-Oct 3, 2015
Spain Private 2015October 7-19, 2015
Everest View Trek 2015November 2-14, 2015
Everest Base Camp 2015November 2-20, 2015