Thailand Teen Trek 2017
OUR EXPEDITIONS >
THAILAND TEEN TREK 2017
This is a private trek for teens by invitation.
• Work at a home for at-risk and orphaned children near Chiang Mai
• Build a boys dormitory at a children's home
• Host soccer clinics and games at a local school
• Experience rural Thailand and a new culture
• Hike in a bamboo forest and overnight in a hill tribe village
• Ride an elephant, swim in a waterfall, and raft down a river
• Visit the Golden Temple and the floating markets in Bangkok
We will have the opportunity to spend eight amazing days with at-risk and orphaned children from Warm Heart Children's Home in Phrao, about an hour and a half from Chiang Mai. We will spend time getting to know the children, playing games and doing art projects with them, building a boys dormitory, taking them on a field trip, and celebrating our time together with food, music, and dancing. In addition we will be hosting soccer clinics and games for the local school children.
Our 2-day Trek through the spectacular mountains and bamboo forests of northern Thailand will be an exciting adventure. Along the way, we will ride an elephant along the forested trails, visit the indigenous hill-tribe people of the Red Lahu, swim in a waterfall, white water raft, and float on a traditional bamboo raft. A highlight will be the opportunity to experience the authentic cultures and traditional lifestyles of the Red Lahu hill-tribe people as guests in their village.
Our Trek will be fully supported by a local trekking company. We will walk several hours a day and sleep in a bamboo hut in the hill-tribe village.
Please contact Tricia Donaldson, Director of Operations for more information.
Trip Cost: $1800-1900 + airfare from Salt Lake City to Bangkok $1000-1400
Total Cost = $2800-3300
100% of the cost of the expedition is tax-deductible and teens can fundraise for their trip.
• Trip leaders
• Work projects, activities, field trip, and party with the children at the children's home
• Materials and labor for the humanitarian project
• Soccer clinics and games with the local school children
• 10 nights accommodation
• 1 night in the jungle on the Trek
• 2 day guided Trek
• Elephant ride
• All meals except for 2
• Entrance fees
• All in-country transportation
• RT in-country flight/train from Bangkok to Chiang Mai
• TFK t-shirt and luggage tags
• Tips for local guides and drivers
• Group travel insurance
• 2 meals
• Drinks and bottled water
• Personal expenses, souvenires, incidentals
• 15-18 years old
• Good health
• Physically fit
• Willing to work hard and have a good attitude
3 Step Process
1. Apply • Fill out the online application
• Pay $250 deposit ($50 non-refundable)
2. Prepare • Read Information and Fundraising Packet from TFK
• Attend several meetings
• Fundraise and/or earn money
• Help carry gifts for the children
3. Experience • Enjoy a trip of a lifetime!
We are committed to supporting you every step of the way, both before and during your Expedition.
Details coming soon. Please check back.
95% of Thais are Buddhists
The Mekong River is the third longest river in Asia and borders with Laos. The rare Asian river dolphin makes its home in it.
Thai is a tonal language. This means that one word can have multiple meanings, depending on the way it's pronounced. There are 5 tones in the Thai language.
Chiang Mai is the second largest city in Thailand.
In 1939 the country changed its name from Siam to Thailand. In 1945 the country changed its name from Thailand back to Siam. In 1949 the country changed its name again from Siam to Thailand. It is the only country in the world to change its name 3 times in 10 years.
Currency is the Thai Bhat.
Thailand is the only Southeast Asian country to have never been dominated by a Western power and so retains most of its original culture.
In ‘Thai’, the name Thailand signifies “land of freedom” or the “land of the free”.
There are seven major hill tribes in Thailand: Karen, Hmong, Yao, Lisu, Lahu, Lawa, and Akha. Each has its own distinct culture, religion, language, art and colorful style of dress. The hill tribe people have migrated to Thailand from neighboring Myanmar, Laos, Vietnam and even China at various points throughout history
Thailand is the largest producer of pineapples in the world.
Thailand is popularly known as the "Land of the White Elephant." It is said that white elephants were highly revered by Thai Rulers and till date are widely honored as symbols of peace and prosperity.
After signing up for an Expedition, volunteers receive a Fundraising Kit, and access to the Trekker Resource Center, with online tips and tools to help you succeed.
• great introduction to TFK for your donors
Personal Fundraising Page
• solicit donations on your page
• set fundraising goals
• track progress in real time
• post a message to your donors
• donors can send a message to you
• form letters to help you get started
• fundraising logs
• receipts and forms
• work project flyer
Contact our Director of Operations, Tricia Donaldson, for more information.
Thailand Teen Trek 2017
Expedition Dates: May 27-June 9, 2017
Deadline to Apply: December 10, 2016
Trip Cost: $1800-1900 + airfare ($1000-1400)
Service Work: Warm Heart
Activity Level: Moderate
MEET THE TREKKERS
Select a Trekker‘s name below to visit their personal fundraising page. Help them reach their goal by making a donation today.
Bhutan Trek 2017April 8-21, 2017
Thailand Private Teen 2017May 27-June 9, 2017
Mt. Elbrus 2017July 1-15, 2017
Peru Trek 2017August 3-12, 2017
Everest Base Camp 2017October 30-November 17, 2017
Everest View Trek 2017October 30-November 11, 2017
Panama Trek 2018March 3-11, 2018